purpose: provide you with strong questions to use when doing customer development for any sort of product.
between the google doc below, which points to the most useful resources I could find on the topic, and the questions outlined below, should provide you a strong foundation to build on.
customer development questions by stages of conversations
- what is your role? // how would you describe your role?
- what does a typical day look like for you?
- You get to the office, then what?
- how much time do you spend doing [task]?
- what is challenging about that?
- what does success look like for you in your role? // when you have a “good day” what does that look like?
- what’s the hardest part of being successful? // having a “good day”?
- how do you find new tools to use at work?
- have you tried anything new recently?
- how did you learn about [that]?
problem and solution questions
- what are the hardest parts of your day?
- when was the last time that happened?
- why was it a challenge?
- did you solve it?
- how are you currently dealing with [challenging task]?
- who else is involved in doing [challenging task]? who do you work with when doing [challenging task]?
- what do you like about the way your currently solving that challenge?
- what do you wish you could do differently? what do you wish you could to do that isn’t possible?
- what is most frustrating about [topic] today?
- what do you do to handle that problem?
- is there anything else you think i should have asked you about [problem]?
- do you know anyone else that has a similar problem?
- do you think you could introduce me so i can have a similar conversation with them?
- can i contact you again as we continue to develop [product]?
customer development question starts/general purpose
- what’s an example of…?
- can you tell me about the last time you..?
- so what happened next? // what did you do then?
- when you said [x], did you mean [Xx]?
- what else?